Monday, November 13, 2006

Kubuntu 6.10 Thoughts

Been using Kubuntu on and off for the last couple of days. My primary distro atm being SimplyMEPIS.

What I like:

Speed, is perceptibly faster than Mepis, could be because of background tasks running/not running in both. Haven't done a detailed analysis. Even the Synaptic search seems to be faster, again that could be because of the number of installed packages.


Will add more here.

What I did not like:

Adept is not very good. When I searched with Superkaramba nothing showed up. When I searched with Karamba, Superkaramba showed up. I installed Superkaramba, while installing Liquid Weather I got the message that it would not run without ImageMagick. Wonder why it was not installed as a dependency. Anyhow, am using Synaptic now.

The number of installed packages does not seem to be adequate. One has to do a bit of hard work after the basic installation to get the distro running. For example, I could not find a calculator. I wonder whether I did something wrong or the basic installation is spartan. From what I can understand, this is not a newbie friendly distro. One would have to know the package names to install them. I could not find kwikdisk anywhere in the repos. It seems I have to do some serious research.

I like the speed. I will stick with this distro if I can figure out how to get the fonts to behave.

The fonts are killing me. Let me go and fix them.

More later

No comments: